CANINE ULTRASOUND SCANNING
Here at Bulkybullies Bulldogs we are trained, qualified and certified in pet ultrasound scanning and we want to offer the best service possible which is why we offer you two free ultrasound scans with our Bulldog stud dog package. We carry out the first one on day 30, this one is purely to confirm that your bitch is pregnant, we can usually offer an estimate of numbers at this time but it is only an estimate as reabsorption can still take place up to day 44. The second scan is at your choice and depends on what it is for, we always say for a peace of mind scan book in for around day 40-45 but this is up to you.
Should you require anymore scans after this we would charge the standard rate.
When do I book in for a scan?
You should book your pet ultrasound scan on day 30 of your second mating, this is when your dog would be at around day 30 of gestation. If you have had progesterone testing or reverse progesterone testing carried out, you may feel confident about what day your bitch should be at. If you are going by number of days post-mating and your bitch has been bred before you should always use the most recent date of mating. Dogs do not necessarily get caught on the day of mating or canine artificial insemination, which is why you shouldn't go from the first mating as you could actually end up overestimating her current gestation by up to 7 days.
You should not have your bitch scanned too early, and here's why:
- Someone trained in pet ultrasound scanning should be able to assure you that the unborn puppies are healthy. This is done by not only looking for gestation sacs but by confirming movement and more importantly, heartbeats. Scanning prior to 40 days makes this extremely difficult as seeing a heartbeat at this stage would be almost impossible on most portable pet ultrasound scanning machines.
- Reabsorption can occur. There is no point knowing that your bitch is pregnant at day 20 because if she reabsorbs the litter she would not still be pregnant at day 30. Reabsorption can take place up until roughly day 44 when the skeletal bones are developed
Also having a scan too early is a waste of money, because you will more than likely need a re-scan anyway which is why we say pregnancy confirmation at day 30 and then around day 40-45 for peace of mind.
Why do i need pet ultrasound scanning?
Before you book a pet ultrasound scan, think about what you want to get from it.
- Do you want to confirm the pregnancy as soon as possible? If so, book your scan for day 30.
- Are you looking to know how many puppies your bitch is carrying? if so having your scan between day 30 – 35 is a good time for this, but remember this is only an estimate. Number counting with ultrasound isn't always accurate. Pet ultrasound scans are performed there and then so you can only see whats there at that exact time unlike an X-ray that photographs the whole of the abdomen. With ultrasound scanning sacs can easily be counted twice, and often one can be hidden behind another, however most experienced pet ultrasound scanners will be confident enough to offer you a rough estimate: for example, she is having between 3 and 5 or I have definitely seen 5 in there so she is having 5 or more.
- If you want peace of mind that the pregnancy is all progressing as it should after you've had your confirmation scan then wait until around day 40-45 as the puppies will be a lot more developed and this is when the heart beats are usually more visible. This not only gives you better images, but also assures you that the pregnancy is progressing normally.
When to contact your vet.
If during her pregnancy your bitch looks or acts unwell you should always contact your vet immediatley, never contact your ultrasound scanner!
What is Pyometra?
Pyometra is a secondary infection that occurs as a result of hormonal changes in the female's reproductive tract. Following estrus (heat), the hormone progesterone remains elevated for up to two months and causes the lining of the uterus to thicken in preparation for pregnancy.
If pregnancy does not occur for several consecutive estrus cycles, the uterine lining continues to increase in thickness until cysts form within the uterine tissues (a condition called cystic endometrial hyperplasia).
The thickened, cystic lining secretes fluids that create an ideal environment for bacterial growth.
In addition, the muscles of the uterus cannot contract properly either due to thickening of the uterine wall or the high levels of the hormone progesterone. This means that bacteria that enters the uterus and fluids that have accumulated cannot be expelled.
During estrus, white blood cells, which would normally protect against infection by eliminating bacteria, are inhibited from entering the uterus. This normal occurrence allows sperm to safely enter the female's reproductive tract without being damaged or destroyed by these immune system cells.
The combination of these three factors can often lead to life threatening infection
Pyometra information taken from https://vcahospitals.com/
We Provide all sorts of services including:
Canine ultrasound scanning
Ultrasound for dogs
Canine Artificial insemination
Pet ultrasound Scanning
Pet Semen Analysis
Should you require our services please do not hesitate to contact us using the details on the contact us page.